The 2018/19 Premier League kicked off over last weekend with top English sides getting back to normal business. Man United had early kick off on Friday evening, although they beat Leicester 2-1 at Old Trafford but their style of play remains boring despite fielding a new looking midfield in Perreira and Fred.
Alexis Sanchez who had a full pre-season camping with the squad still lacks the necessary balance to pick up his good form from where he left it at Arsenal, after being dispossessed for a record 27 times in single match. Shaw was maybe the only surprise of the game after getting on the score sheet for the first time in his senior career.
Chelsea got off to a flying start under new Italian manager, Sarri, winning 3-0 away at Huddersfield. New signing Jorginho got his first Chelsea goal from the penalty spot while World Cup winning midfielder, Kante and Pedro also got on the score sheet. Tottenham also recorded a victory against Newcastle at St James’ Park while Liverpool hit four past Westham United with Salah and Mane finding the back of the net for the Merseysiders.
It was the same story for Arsenal even under new manager, Unai Emery as Man City ruined his welcome party with 2-0 defeat at the Emirates. Raheem Sterling and Bernando Silva scored for City.
Some points to note
- Both record signing goal keepers, Allison and Kepa kept clean sheets with Liverpool and Chelsea respectively on their first match in Premier
- Pogba looks good with Man United’s captain’s armband, putting out a fine display plus getting the score sheet, converting from the penalty spot
- Liverpool looks like they are seriously challenging for the title this season having intensified their rampant attacking style of play
- Ozil looks likely to get blamed everywhere he goes after being singled out following Arsenal’s loss to Man City
- Tottenham won’t be giving up top four finish easily
What’s your thought on the new season?