The Super Cup is an European tie between the club that win the Champions League and the Europa League. It is one of those important European titles out there as it reveals an ultimate winner between both cup holders.
Against all odds, Man United were able to win the UEFA Europa League despite poor run of form in the Premier League. Likewise, Real Madrid broke a back-to-back record, winning the Champions League in two successive seasons for the first time since 1992.
See all the stats you need to know below:
- Manchester United could claim their second European Super Cup after winning in 1991 when they beat Red Star Belgrade 1-0 at Old Trafford
- United could become the second English side to claim multiple European Super Cups after three-time winners Liverpool
- Jose Mourinho has lost his previous two European Super Cup matches as a manager, in 2013 with Chelsea and in 2003 with FC Porto. No manager has ever lost on three occasions
- Mourinho is the first coach to manage three different sides in the European Super Cup
- Spanish teams have won seven of the last eight European Super Cups
- The last Europa League winner to claim the Super Cup was Atletico Madrid in 2012, as they beat Champions League winners Chelsea 4-1
- Only Barcelona and AC Milan (five) have won the European Super Cup on more occasions than Real (three)
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored a record 108 goals in all European competitions, including two in the European Super Cup (BBC Sports)
What is your prediction?